More About SASSO
The South African Soil Surveyors Organization (SASSO) is a non-profit organization for soil surveyors from all sectors, with the purpose of establishing a forum for soil surveyors in South Africa, within which knowledge of soil characteristics and their interpretation for land use is increased, growth and expansion of the profession is promoted, with the overarching goal of appropriate, sustainable land use through accurate and meaningful soil surveys for all land users.
SASSO aims to, through the study of the role of soil in the agro-ecosystem, further support the agricultural industry and other land users, by implementing available, as well as adding to, knowledge of optimal and sustainable soil utilization. Steps towards this include:
- Correct identification of relevant soil characteristics
- Accurate classification and identification of soil type to facilitate good communication
- Develop databases which will empower land managers as to land potential and good soil management
- Creating opportunity for the free exchange and debate of ideas from soil surveyors in South Africa
- Advancement of linkages and exchange between the Organization and other institutions with similar interests, both in South Africa and internationally
- The gathering and dissemination of knowledge, information and ideas relating to soil survey, soil properties and the interpretation thereof, through workshops and publications
- The management and registration of soil surveyors so as to maintain and improve norms and standards within the field of expertise;
- Advancement of the expertise and interests of members of the profession;
- Integration of soil characteristics and land use via Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and modeling
- To encourage scientific training in soil science; and
- To fulfill any other functions in the interests of soil and land use.
Ethical Codes of Conduct
- Foster a culture of respect and appreciation for the contribution of others.
- Regard for the creation, integration and transfer of knowledge to the benefit of all parties.
- Members ought to deliver professional services of a high standard which demonstrate competence, integrity and attention to detail.
- Avoid conflicting interests.
- Maintain high standards of professional integrity. Accept accountability for scientific, professional activities. This implies that the persons and/or institutions take the pros and cons into consideration when making recommendation.
- Professional conduct must be carried out in such a way as to encourage adoption by prospective members.
- The conduct of members must ensure that the integrity, status and professionalism of colleagues within the organization are held in high regard.
- Members must, in the course of practicing their career, present an unbiased view/opinion which is free of any influence that could negatively impact his/her independence and objectivity.
- The confidentiality of client information must be honored unless there is a legal and/or professional duty on the member to disclose it.
- Members should only undertake work of a nature for which they are qualified and have the required experience and background
- Encourage a culture of respect and value the contributions of others.